Friday, March 29, 2013

From Trash to Treasure

The other day, I did a bit of dumpster diving...well, not really a dumpster, it was a small trash can. My husband had finished working on a project and as I walked past the trash can, I noticed that he'd thrown away a circular sanding disc that he had used on his electric sander. I grabbed it and of course he noticed. "What are you going to do with that?"was his immediate response. He really didn't need to ask. He knew I had a craft in mind. So, I turned the discarded sanding disc into a flower by cutting around the edges with a pair of scissors. Fortunately, those lovely holes were already in the disc. I think that's one of the things that made me rescue it from the trash bin.  After shaping the edge of the disc, I added some cream colored embroidery thread, hoping to give each petal more definition. Then I punched several circles, fringed them and layered them in the center. I punched a small circle from the sand paper excess to go in the center of the flower. I used a scoring board to add embossed lines to the card base, and rounded the corners with a corner punch. Next, I used a border die and cream cardstock to create the two strips that are to the left of the flower. I also punched a series of leaves/stems, added detail with a colored pencil and adhered everything to the card base. The moral of this long tale:  I need to peek into my husband's workshop trash bin more often, just to see what other treasures I can find!

Supplies: Discarded sanding disc, cardbase: Recollections, Cardstock: Bazzill (cream), Fox River Paper Co (green), Colored Pencil: crayola, Leaf Punch???no name on it, Circle Punches: EK Success, Adhesive: Scotch ATG, Scotch Quick Dry, Scoring Board: Martha Stewart, Embroidery Thread: DMC, Border Die: Life Style

No comments:

Post a Comment