Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Inspired by Darlene

Special Fold Owls
I was reading the posts in my blog reading list this morning and was working my way backwards through the Darlene Design blog, when I came across a very intriguing card that Darlene created.  She called it Split Owls.  (If you haven't visited her blog yet. I encourage you to do so. She is soooooooooo talented and shares her talent through video tutorials.)

When I saw Darlene creating her owl card, I was hooked and immediately went off to create my own version of her card. I started by die cutting five owls from chocolate cardstock. Then I hand cut little vests from scrap pieces of cardstock and used a gel pen to add detail before adhering them to each owl. I punched white and black circles and adhered them to each owl to represent the eyes. Then I took a tiny bit of orange and cut very tiny beaks.  In Darlene's version, she stamped a branch. I was tempted to draw a branch since I didn't have a stamp, but instead I used chocolate cardstock and tore it into the shape of a branch. I adhered the owls and branches to the card then added the punched leaves. I printed a sentiment and cut it into a dialogue bubble. I punched a circle to represent a  full moon and added it to the top of the card. Next I inked some of the edges and across the moon.

Thanks to Darlene for inspiring my card!

Supplies:
Cardbase: Stampin' Up, Cardstock: Core'dinations (chocolate and vanilla), Scraps from my stash, Owl Die: Spellbinders, Circle Punches: EK Success, Leaf Punch: ? (no name on it), Ink: Memento, Adhesives: Scotch Quick Dry and Scotch ATG

No comments:

Post a Comment