Monday, April 22, 2013

Handmade Ornament

HAPPY EARTH DAY....Today's card is another project that involves recycling and I had a blast creating it. My card has a handmade ornament hanging in the center of a snowflake window.  The ornament was created using #6 recyclable plastic. I got my piece of plastic from a bakery container at a local market.  The plastic can be used as DIY shrink plastic. I have done a few other projects with this (HERE   and   HERE ).  To make this ornament I used a die cut machine to cut an oval from #6 plastic. Then I used permanent markers to draw and color in the details. After the ink was dried,  I punched a hole in the top of the ornament, poked a skewer through it and heated the plastic with my heat gun. If you've used shrink plastic before, this #6 plastic works similarly. As it heats it starts to shrink, curl and then uncurls leaving you with a smaller version of the original design. After the ornament was cooled, I used a wire hanger and hung it from the center of an embossed cardbase with a snowflake window. I  am submitting this card for the current challenge at  Christmas Card Challenges and for the recycle element  challenge over at Jingle Belles.



Supplies:
Cardbase: Recollections, Embossing folder: Darice, Snowflake Die Cut: Fiskars Fuse, # 6 plastic, Bic Market Markers, Marvy Uchida Heat Gun, Ribbon: Offray, Adhesive: Scotch ATG

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you clever ... love your beautiful handmade ornament ... so glad you joined us for earth day at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just when i think you cannot possibly surpass what you've already done with recycled elements, you go and make something like ♥THIS♥!!! HOLY WOW you are just soooooooooooooooooooo clever and sooooo very talented missus!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete