Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Bells of Saint Mary's

Last night I had the pleasure of revisiting a few scenes from an old movie called "The Bells of St. Mary's". It's a story about a priest (Bing Crosby) and a nun (Ingrid Bergman) who put aside their differences to save an inner city school on the verge of being condemned . As I was watching scene after scene, my mind was flooded with wonderful memories of my mother and I enjoying this movie together. I guess you could say it was a tradition for us. We always looked forward to watching it together.  I watched scenes from the movie in order to get inspiration for the Christmas Story/Movie card challenge at Jingle Belles.  I love this prompt!!!  It was suggested by Irene from A Serendipitous Retirement. Although the movie isn't a traditional Christmas movie, I remember it being broadcast around Christmas time and enjoying the wonderful songs sung by Bing Crosby. There is a scene where the children perform a Christmas play and also one where Bing and the children sing "Adeste Fidelis", which may be one of the reasons why it was broadcast in December.  The inspiration for the card came from the scene where Bing Crosby and the nuns sing "The Bells of St Mary's". I must have listened to it a half a dozen times before I sat down to create my card. Bing's voice is just so incredible!  Anyway, I pulled out my acrylic paints and hand painted the bells onto a piece of black cardstock then fussy cut around  them and mounted them with dimensional adhesive onto black cardstock. I decided to use a black background and a white cardbase because the film was created in 1945 and was broadcast in black and white and of course the priest and nuns wore black and white. The red ribbon and green bows add the much needed color.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. oh WOW! brenda this is sooooooooooo cool and so very beautiful! also, it's kind of making me want to watch "the bells of st. mary's" again. like, NOW. thank goodness for netflix, eh?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love Bing and this The Bells of St. Mary's is a Christmas movie for me too. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous memories ... and such gorgeou painted bells (you've got mad skills) ... thank you so much for sharing another Christmas Story with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete