Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 4th~Independence Day Celebration


July 4th is right around the corner. My community celebrates Independence Day with a day long event. There will be a children's parade in the morning, followed by live music, entertainment, games and various children's activities at a local park. We'll end the day with fireworks if the fire department gives the okay. In the past, there have been some years when it was too dry, with drought conditions, to risk potential fires. This year there will be about 90 booths at the park. I will be working a booth for the first time this year.  I work in a dental office and one of my co-workers and I will be representing our office at the celebration. We will have a booth with games for children. I've created two of the games. One is a ring toss with handmade toothbrushes and a toothpaste tube.  The toothpaste tube is about two feet tall and easily made with a posterboard, paper plate and cardstock. I used the cardstock for the cap...I just scored it, accordion folded it and rolled it into a cap shape.  I stuffed the tube with an old bed pillow, leaving room on each side so I can slip it over two stakes that I pound into the ground. The toothbrushes are made from pool noodles that I cut in half and carved with a bread knife. The brushes are floor brushes from the $$$ store. Because the noodles have a hole running up the center of them, they also slip over stakes pounded into the ground. I made the rings from oxygen tubing. I slipped a wire inside each piece of tubing, shaped them into a circle and used electrical tape to wrap them. To add a decorative touch I used yarn and crocheted a looped stitch around each. The yarn will also make the rings easier to grasp.

I will also be selling some handmade items to benefit "The Race for the Cure". (One of my co-workers has breast cancer.) Two of the items I am selling are quilted wall hangings. I haven't appliqued a quilt in a long time and decided to give it a try. When I was looking for ideas, I ran across two similar quilts on the internet (I don't remember the source). I created my own version of the quilts that I saw. Here they are:

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
To all my American followers....
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

No comments:

Post a Comment